A number of men and women suffer from unwanted hair of the face or body. Generally, this can be attributed to many factors. On the contrary, others may suffer from inadequate or sparse lashes and brows.
Regardless of our racial heritage, whether we are blonde or brunette or consider ourselves less hairy than others, many are surprised to learn that virtually our entire body is covered with hair. Since most of this hair is fine and pale, it usually goes unnoticed and is essentially invisible to the naked eye. Yet, when darker, thicker hair grows in places which make you feel uncomfortably self-conscious, it may be time to consider hair removal with STATE-OF-THE-ART LASER technology.
Past remedies for removing unwanted hair included plucking, shaving, waxing, electrolysis or chemical depilatories. Not only can they be painful and messy but all provide only a temporary solution. SAFER and more PERMANENT than waxing, plucking, shaving, electrolysis, and other methods, laser hair removal is so EFFECTIVE that most see dramatic long-term hair reduction after some three to five sessions. Laser hair removal is even good for addressing INGROWN HAIR.
At any one time, hair is in multiple stages of growth throughout your body unlike the growth cycle of harvestable crops in response to the season. Therefore you will need MULTIPLE SESSIONS for MAXIMAL RESULTS, because only hair in the anagen — or active — stage of hair growth can be successfully treated.
What’s more, laser hair removal is the only PROVEN method available for easily and quickly removing hair from large areas of the body — the back, chest, legs, face.
In 2017, Self-Centered Aesthetics™ believe laser hair removal is the MOST EFFECTIVE solution and that the High Speed LightSheer DUET® by Lumenis® is the best on the market for efficacy, speed and comfort.
Unlike other laser hair removal systems being offered, the LightSheer DUET® utilizes a state-of-the-art diode laser to target the hair follicle as well as vacuum-assist technology to increase the laser's efficiency while minimizing any discomfort.
LightSheer DUET® can treat ALL SKIN TYPES and areas of the body when appropriate treatment parameters are utilized by our professionals at Self-Centered Aesthetics. This is fantastic for both MEN and WOMEN.
However, women who are pregnant or maybe so should postpone treatments until they have delivered.
LightSheer's 800 nm near-infrared diode laser has been optimized for permanent hair reduction across the broadest patient population and clinically validated with over 6000 systems installed worldwide. Diode lasers use the principle of selective photothermolysis (abbreviated SPTL) to target specific chromophores in the skin, usually melanin or blood. The lasers damage the chromophores by selectively heating them while leaving surrounding tissue unharmed. When treating unwanted hair, for example, the melanin in the hair follicles is targeted for destruction resulting in the disruption of hair growth and regeneration. A diode laser can be complemented by cooling technology, or other pain reducing methods which improve treatment efficacy and patient comfort. The Lumenis Light Sheer Duet™ is considerably LESS PAINFUL because the VACUUM component of the handpiece "fools" your nerve endings into feeling suction instead of the laser itself. Also, the Lumenis Light Sheer Duet™ has a relatively large spot size, which means that LARGE AREAS of the body like the full legs, arms, etc can be treated relatively QUICKLY. Also, due to the suction, your skin is stretched out and up closer to the actual diode (laser), which leads to predictably EFFECTIVE results. For those small confined areas in the body that need more precise energy pulses (such as around the ears, nose and bikini areas) the LightSheer can also be used with a separate hand-piece equipped with a smaller tip and a DCD (dynamic cooling device) component.
Hair removal requires multiple treatments. This is because the laser works best when hairs are in an early growth stage (referred to as anagen), and all the hairs are not in this phase at the same time. The appearance of the treated area immediately following treatment will vary from patient to patient, depending on the extent of the procedure and the skin type. On average patients experience 20-30% less regrowth after each treatment and 70-90% reduction in hair growth after 8-12 treatments.
1. Patients will be instructed to clean-shave all areas planned for treatment either the night before or the morning of the session. Failing to do so, patients should let the staff at Self-CA beforehand so the appropriate amount of time can be factored into the appointment. Patients may be rescheduled should this latter scenario arise. Shave with a high quality razor and shaving cream in a warm shower. Do not use soap to shave because it dries out your skin. For hard to see areas like the inner buttocks try using a mirror. Electric hair clippers are useful to shave men’s back. However, despite the need to shave just prior to the laser treatment, clients must stop waxing, tweezing and chemical epilation 3 weeks prior to treatment.
2. Patients must avoid sun exposure as well as sunless-tanning products 14 days prior to treatment. As an added precaution, exfoliating the area to remove any residual color is recommended. Those who are sunburned or tanned must wait 2 weeks before being treated to avoid additional skin.
3. Patients must avoid chemical peels and other laser procedures in the area to be treated for 2 weeks prior and two weeks after your laser treatment.
4. Patients must avoid all alpha hydroxy and beta hydroxyl products(AHA/BHA), hydroquinone, retinols/retinoids/Retin-A equivalents),Tazorac, Differin for 7 days before treatment.
5. As an added precautionary measure, patients should not be taking antibiotics because of their potential deleterious photosensitizing side effect. We recommend patients check with their prescribing doctor prior to receiving laser treatments if on a long term antibiotic (e.g, for managing acne). Patients will need to be off antibiotics for at least 7 days before laser treatment.
6. Patients must be off Accutane or similar medications six months prior to any type of laser therapy.
7. Those prone to cold sores are highly recommended to take an anti-viral medication (such as Valtrex) prior to treatment. Clients with active cold sores will not be treated.
8. It is advisable to avoid scheduling any laser hair removal treatment within 14 days of having received dermal filler.
9. Tight-fitting boots should not be wore immediately after leg treatments.
10. If applicable, apply numbing cream 45 to 60 minutes prior to treatment.
If you are a new client, expect to be here at least 60-90 minutes which would include time required to fill out all relevant paperwork and consents. We will review your medical history, go over the procedure, expectations and answer any questions you may have. We will take pre and post treatment photographs to document the improvement once the treatment is complete. Follow-up procedures should take approximately 15-30 minutes.
With the Light Sheer Duet laser it is possible to laser your entire body in less than one hour. Compared to other lasers, treatment TIMES ARE REDUCED by up to 75%. An upper lip takes about 5 minutes, underarms about 10 minutes, and full legs around 30. Before the session, you’ll be given protective eye gear and, if requested, a topical anesthetic. The majority of our patients do not need numbing cream. The LightSheer Duet® is a suction type laser so it does not feel like the pinching /rubber band snapping like most other lasers. This laser doesn’t use cold air or cooling spray like other laser machines because it’s so gentle. It feels like light suction and mild warmth on the skin. If a patient is extremely sensitive, it is recommended that they take a Tylenol before coming in, or our office will offer numbing cream if needed. An over the counter numbing cream is available for purchase. You should experience mild redness, bumps, and perhaps swelling in the lasered area for up to 72 hours. After your laser session, cooling aloe gel, calamine and triamcinolone cream may be applied to soothe the skin. You will receive a copy of the post laser instructions upon arrival. Aloe and 1% hydrocortisone cream can be applied at home after the treatment as well.
1. Avoid exposing the treated area to sun for 7 days post treatment.
2. If blisters occur, do not puncture. If skin is broken, apply an antibiotic ointment until healed.
3. Tylenol is recommended for post treatment discomfort. Most experience little to no pain after laser hair removal.
4. You may apply Restorative Gel (highest recommended), cool towels, ice packs or aloe vera to alleviate the sensation of heat.
5. Use a broad spectrum UVA/UVB SPF 30/sun block on areas that are likely to be briefly exposed to the sun after treatment (such as the mustache line) .
6. Avoid any additional laser treatments or chemical procedures on the treated area for at least 14 days after your laser hair removal session.
7. Avoid all alpha hydroxy and beta hydroxyl products(AHA/BHA), hydroquinone, retinols/retinoids/Retin-A equivalents),Tazorac, Differin for 7 days after treatment.
8. Up to three weeks after your treatment, some hair may seem to be regrowing but this usually represents the elimination of the hair that remained under your skin and is not true we growth. You may exfoliate with a loofah when you get out of the shower as long as your skin is not irritated. Do not wax or tweeze or undergo electrolysis in between your laser hair removal sessions. You may shave or trim if needed.
9. If you experience any side effects such as hypo or hyper pigmentation, prolonged redness or swelling, histamine reaction, or blistering call call our office for further instructions. Do not manipulate the skin on any of your treated areas. If crusting or scabbing develops, just allow it to fall off on its own so as not to damage the skin underneath it.
10. To achieve optimal results, complete the full treatment schedule at the intervals recommended-Usually around 4 to 8 weeks between treatments. For the face, it is usually between 2 to 4 weeks because facial hair grows faster.
Negative side effects from laser hair removal are very uncommon. Treated areas may be pink or red for a few hours after treatment, and the hair follicle may look red (which is actually a good sign that the follicle has been treated successfully). In rare instances, blistering, minor scarring as well as changes in skin color such as redness, hypopigmentation or hyperpigmentation (loss or increase in pigment, respectively).
Our team of medical professionals at Self-Centered Aesthetics who will take the time to understand your treatment goals and develop a treatment plan that is customized for your individual needs, skin type and hair characteristics.
Your cost not only includes the use of the sophisticated Lumenis® Light Sheer Duet® device, but more importantly, the skill and expertise of the specialist employing it to treat your skin condition. Lumenis® Light Sheer Duet® is a technique-sensitive treatment—look for someone who is licensed and trained and has experience treating patients with these machines and other lasers.
Our team of medical professionals at Self-Centered Aesthetics will take the time to understand your treatment goals and develop an laser Light Sheer hair removal strategy that is right for you. Self-C A can both offer individually priced sessions or treatment plans recommended by our specialist which are "packaged" for built-in cost savings.