SPIDER VEINS & ROSACEA
A number of vascular problems exists that effect both the face and the body. These can range from large blue vessles, vericosties and spider veins to broken capillaries of the face and nose. SCA offers treatments for all of these conditions.
We all now know about the sun's radiating UVA and UVB rays and how they age your skin in more ways than one. Even though you "religiously" avoid the sun and don sunblock during waking hours, the accumulation of continuous, albeit brief exposures to both the sun, tobacco smoke and other environmental assaults eventually takes its toll. Skin will not only become DULL and DRY but also more CREPEY with FINE LINES and WRINKLES. It will also lose its homogenous pearly translucency by developing blotches of BROWN and PATCHES OF RED often accompanied with SPIDER VEINS and sometimes ROSACEA. We at Self Centered Aesthetics know this is not a pretty picture. But we also have an antidote.
Although known as the original PhotoFacial, the Lumenis® IPL (acronym for Intense Pulse Light) is not your standard aesthetician's facial, it is so much more. While UVA and UVB rays like to add years to your skin, an IPL Photofacial can literally take them off. Through the use of intense pulsed light therapy, spots, redness, broken veins and capillaries are ERASED while improving UNEVEN TONE and texture.
The beauty of the IPL solution is that there is little-to-no downtime and MINIMAL DISCOMFORT from it. It's power to combat redness has been harnessed as a very effective TREATMENT FOR ROSACEA. Extra benefits include INCREASED COLLAGEN production and DECREASED PORE SIZE. In addition to the Photofacial, IPL can be effective on any part of the body where sun damage has left its mark. Indeed, it is a popular treatment for the sun damage to the décolletage (chest), hands, legs and other areas.
Performed in a series, IPL Photofacials lead to SMOOTH EVEN SKIN or youth and beauty.
A laser differs from other sources of light in that it emits light coherently, not only allowing it to be focused to a precise spot but also within a very narrow wavelength (or single color). Though technically not a laser per se, IPL does it work via light as well. IPL is an intense pulsed light of more than one wavelength which targets redness emanating from tiny blood vessels and the melanin pigment that makes up sun and age spots. Without breaking the skin, this very strong light goes beneath the surface to selectively damage the blood vessels and melanin, which are then naturally absorbed by the body.
For what and where can I use IPL technology to improve my skin’s appearance?
IPL treatments can be used on your FACE and BODY where you have aging, sun damaged skin.
Generally, it is very effective for:
1. RED PATCHES caused by the small blood vessels barely visible to the naked eye.
2. Visible SPIDER VEINS and telangiectasia.
3. ROSACEA particularly the redness, flushing and bumps associated with it. Because this is a treatment that works especially well on redness and broken capillaries, IPL precisely targets the problems plaguing rosacea sufferers. Patients also notice smaller pore size and fewer breakouts.
4. Port wine stains.
5. Brown discolorations including AGE SPOTS, MELASMA, HYPERPIGMENTATION and LENTIGENES.
6. Enlarged PORES.
7. Fine lines and WRINKLES.
8. DRY and DULL skin texture.
In addition to the face, patients benefit from using IPL to renew the skin on the neck chest (décolletage), hands, legs, arms and back. Most people may benefit from and safely receive an IPL Photorejuvenation treatment, especially from trained professionals such as our team at Self-C A. However, always consult with your physician to find out if IPL is right for you.
The most important way you can prepare for an IPL treatment is to stay out of the sun for a week prior to your visit. In order to minimize any potential side effects, individuals preparing to undergo an IPL photofacial should:
1. Avoid going in the sun without SPF30 sunscreen (must contain UVA and UVB filters) for at least 4 weeks prior to treatment.
2. Ensure treatment area is free of sunburn, suntan, herpes outbreak (cold sores), inflammatory acne, eczema, hypo or hyperpigmentation.
3. Avoid using any form of Vitamin A acid for at least 60 days, including retinoic acid, glycolic acid, tretinoin (Retin-A) and alpha-hydroxy acids
4. Stop Accutane for at least 6 months.
5. Bring contact lens case and solution as you may be required to remove contact lenses before treatment.
6. Bring sunscreen that's at least SPF30 to the appointment; you'll need to apply it after the treatment. If you don't, don't worry, Self Centered Aesthetics has one of the best sunscreen/sunblock products for your use.
IPL treatments are performed in a series spaced about 4-6 weeks apart. You will need 3-5 treatments depending on the level of discoloration you would like to improve. If you are a new client, expect to be here at least 60-90 minutes. We will review your medical history, go over the procedure, expectations and answer any questions you may have. We will take pre and post treatment photographs to document the improvement once the treatment is complete. Follow-up procedures should take approximately 45-60 minutes depending on what areas are treated and whether you require proper application of our numbing cream prior to your session.
First, a cold gel is usually applied to the area to be treated, and you may be given dark glasses to protect your eyes from the bright flashes of light. As the pulses of light are applied you may feel a snap similar to a taut rubber band released upon your skin. Each treatment takes anywhere from 20 to 45 minutes. The total treatment is generally administered in a series of 4 to 6 sessions, and you will see gradual improvement that yields excellent long-term results with low risk and minimal downtime. Our professionals at Self-C A will start your very first session with a lower energy level appropriately safe for your particular skin type and work up from there. Consequently, results generally become even more apparent as you progress in your treatment course. Most will notice significant improvement after 1 or 2 sessions, but maximum results are achieved with a full series.
You will have no real downtime from an IPL treatment other than possibly the look and sensation of a slight sunburn. There might be redness on areas treated for redness, and brown spots usually get darker in the 24 hours following the treatment and then just gently flake off. Any and all of these symptoms will clear up within about a week. However, you can wear makeup right away following treatment, and you will not feel no discomfort. You should wear sunscreen and stay out of the sun for a week following treatment. You can book an appointment on your lunch break and go back to work right after, with colleagues none the wiser.
In order to minimize any potential side effects:
1. Right after your IPL apply moisturizer and a full spectrum sunscreen (at least SPF 30) protecting against UVA and UVB rays for 30 days (failure to do so can result in complications and skin damage). Obviously, avoid sun for the duration of the treatment plan and 30 days thereafter. Moisturize frequently.
2. Avoid exposing your treated areas to hot water for 48 hours.
3. Neither scratch nor pick the treated area. Don't engage in strenueous exercise that produces perspiration for 48 hours.
4. Avoid Accutane for several months as with any laser procedure. The best way to maintain the results of your IPL treatment is to wear sunscreen every day and avoid sun exposure to those areas. Remember, IPL works to improve sun-damaged skin. Even when you remove existing sun or age spots, if you expose your rejuvenated skin to the sun without protection, you run the risk of damaging your skin all over again.
The corner stone of most skin rejuvenation treatments (including medical dermabrasion, chemical peels and laser therapy) is the creation of a controlled injury to that particular element of the skin that is contributing to its senescence. Whether it be a patch of spider veins, irregular pigmentation or generalized fine lines and wrinkles, damage is administered as precisely as possible to target the appropriate cells and/or structures responsible for the particular problem. As with any of these treatment solutions, the injury created during the process may be greater then what a patient's skin can handle. When this happens, scarring, discoloration (hypo- or hyperpigmentation) or worsening of the original condition can occur. Fortunately these complications are rare. However, to minimize these risks, experienced practitioners such as ours at Self-Centered Aesthetics, commence a treatment plan with lower energies and work up from there based on how your skin reacts after each session.
IPL is a technique-sensitive treatment—look for someone who is licensed and trained and has experience treating patients with these machines and other lasers.
Your cost not only includes the use of the sophisticated Lumenis® IPL device, but more importantly, the SKILL and EXPERTISE of the specialist employing it to treat your skin condition.
Self-CA can both offer individually priced sessions or treatment plans recommended by our specialist which "packaged" with built in cost savings. Our team of medical professionals at Self-Centered Aesthetics™ will take the time to understand your treatment goals and develop an IPL plan that is RIGHT FOR YOU.
Red comes in all shapes, forms and sizes. The vast majority of red discolorations afflicting the face and body originate from the human vasculature. We are not referring to large vessel vasculature such as the big arteries and veins that bring blood to and from the heart but the microvasculature, the arterioles and venules which do not even have a name. These are the minute vessels that supply the skin and they may develop abnormalities either singularly or in unison with their intimate neighbors to create a whole host of visible cutaneous vascular anomalies. Vascular lesions such as BIRTHMARKS, ROSACEA, SPIDER VEINS (telangiectasia or venulectasias) and varicose veins arise from a wide range of natural and environmental sources including damage from the sun, genetic makeup, and the natural aging process. They can vary in size, shape, and prevalence in a given area.
The Lutronic VRM III Spectra laser is an effective photo-acoustic, non-ablative skin rejuvenation system that can be used to treat issues for many different skin types & indications such as:
1. Vascular lesions such as spider veins, rosacea, birthmarks etc.
4. Enlarged pores.
5. Pigmented lesions (including age spots & melasma).
6. Single and multi-colored tattoos.
Self-Centered Aesthetics™ is proud to offer the Spectra® laser, a gentle Nd:YAG laser that delivers specialized nanosecond 585nm laser energy to target the hemoglobin within the target vessel. The energy PRECISELY injures the vessels responsible for the aesthetic problem and shrinks them to an invisible state. Since the laser targets the vessel, the surrounding tissue remains undamaged.
It should be known that treatment of darker skinned patients is more challenging because the pigments responsible for dark skin are similar to those in the veins and coagulated blood. However, a state-of-the-art device such as the Spectra® laser used carefully by an expert such as ours at Self-Centered Aesthetics™ can provide good results. A good laser for veins also allows the user to adjust settings so that treatment may be CUSTOMIZED FOR THE INDIVIDUAL patient’s needs, delivering the most energy safely to promote the desired result. For best results, more than one treatment may be necessary.
It is recommended that you consult your practitioner regarding any concerns that you may have.
1. Be sure to come to your appointment both well hydrated and not on an empty stomach—some patients get light-headed from not eating before a treatment.
2. Consider quitting smoking cigarettes if you are a frequent smoker, as the smoke prompts for complications.
3. Be sure to use sunscreen anytime you go outside in the month leading up to your first laser treatment to avoid any negative reactions. Do not tan or use self tanner in the areas to be lasered for at least four weeks prior.
4. You must be off any Accutane, tetracycline antibiotic or St. John's Wort for at least six months.
5. Do not take aspirin or ibuprofen before your treatment to avoid unnecessary bruising. Take Tylenol or any other pain medication without aspirin if needed to avoid any discomfort.
6. Be sure that your treatment area is free of perfumes, lotions, moisturizers and makeup.
If you are a new client, expect to be here at least 60-90 minutes. We will review your medical history, go over the procedure, expectations and answer any questions you may have. Follow-up procedures should take approximately 30-45 minutes. Our Self-CA professional will decide what laser wavelength to use, and how many treatments are necessary according to your specific skin issues. We will take pre and post treatment photographs to document the improvement once the treatment is complete.
Before your Spectra® laser vein treatment begins, you will be given the option of a NUMBING AGENT if you feel it necessary—most patients compare the pain to a slight warming, or or tingling. The professional will then give you protective eye wear and apply a COOLING DEVICE to ease any discomfort.
1. Immediately after your first and follow-up treatments, antibacterial cream will be applied. You will follow this regimen as instructed.
2. During the healing process, you should limit sun exposure and where a broad spectrum UVA and UVB sunscreen/block with zinc for at least six weeks, if not your lifetime!
3. Bruising is very common after Spectrum® laser treatment. This is a good sign, this does not mean the veins will become worse. However the lack of bruising does not necessarily mean that the vessel was missed.
4. Apply cool compresses or equivalent as needed for comfort 5. Gently clean the area twice a day with a mild cleanser. Aloe gel can also be applied.
6. Avoid irritants such as glycolic acid washes, retinoids or retinols, bleaching agents, etc. until swelling and redness has dissipated.
7. Shave with caution or avoid it altogether until you are comfortable.
8. It is strongly recommended to wear support hose to facilitate healing.
9. Resume all your normal activities immediately-in fact it is encouraged.
Depending on the customized treatment plan designed by our laser professional for you, treatments are done every 4-6 weeks with a minimum of 2-6 treatments for your full correction. Patients with a tendency toward vascular problems will most likely need additional treatments. If new veins appear, of course, additional treatments may be required to maintain optimal results. Remember, these laser procedures reverse time, but time still marches on!
There are typically no major side effects or downtime aside from minor inflammation-your skin will have a reddish, cat-scratch appearance which disappears over the next two days. The results of spectra® laser treatment for spider veins are not immediate. After the procedure, the treated vessels under the skin will gradually change from a dark blue to a light red color then eventually disappear in 2-6 weeks. With essentially no downtime and minimal side effects, you may return to your daily activities right away. Just be sure to be gentle with the treated area.
*Results and patient experience may vary
There are few, but rare, risks to be considered when undergoing any form of laser treatment. Among these are infection, scarring (possible keloid scarring in darker skinned individuals) hyperpigmentation as well as hypopigmentation. If you experience an inordinate amount of unexplainable pain, blistering, burns, ulcers or signs of infection, contact Self-Centered Aesthetics™ as soon as conveniently possible.
Pricing of Spectra® laser treatment for red discolorations, rosacea and spider veins depends on how many treatments are recommended by our Self-Centered Aesthetics™ professional to achieve your goals. We will work with you to develop a customized treatment plan to reach your desired outcome.
Most patients are highly satisfied with their Spectra® laser treatment and are relieved that no longer having to hide their unsightly veins. The treated areas are noticeably more homogenous in color and in most cases, the skin continues to improve with each successive laser session. Our team of medical professionals at Self-Centered Aesthetics™ will take the time to understand your treatment goals and develop a treatment plan that is right for you.